Last weekend, along with 20 four wheel drives and 30-40 people, I crossed the Wahiba/Sharqiyah desert. Our goal? To reach the coast by sunset on Thursday. Usually, the group (it crosses the desert once a month) reaches the beach by Friday lunchtime, but we were quite ambitious.
We were all determined. I was in the lead car with Mohamed, Julia's husband, who led the way. Who needs super crazy rollercoasters in Oman when you've got the desert sand dunes! Rushes of adrenaline defined that Thursday, and while I feared for my life and hung on as tight as I could, other thoughts occupying my head were, "OMG THIS IS SO COOL," and "when am I ever going to have a chance to do this again??"
And to be quite un-Omani of us, we were on schedule and reached the coast by sunset. It was beautiful.
Sunset in the desert, as you turned away from the coast ...
The next morning, we drove through some crazy high dunes, supposedly to wake everyone up from their morning tiredness (despite it being the weekend, there were definitely no chances for lie-ins!). We drove along the coast to Ras al-Hadd (otherwise known as Turtle Beach, where hundreds of sea turtles come to nest), where we all enjoyed a nice swim and lunch. We traveled to the eastern coastal city of Sur, historically known for its maritime importance and dhow (traditional boat) yard. We took the coastal road (read: not all tarmac!) back to Muscat, which was preferable, as the views of the mountains and the seas from either side of the car windows was absolutely breathtaking.
And now for something completely different ...
Yesterday evening, the famed Olympic torch passed through Muscat. I almost missed it! Caught the last bit before it was whisked away into Qurum Natural Park for a private ceremony. But it was pretty awesome catching a glimpse of the bright orange flame (it was held in the evening because of the heat during the day ... you don't want to jog the crazy hills of old Muscat in that heat) and seeing everyone (Omanis and expats alike) cheering it on. No riots. No protests (other than those without invitation who wanted to get in the Park). Just the wholesome fun that Oman is known for! (Ok, that was cheesy. Sorry.) But seriously, it seemed to go off without a hitch.
Some news stories about it (probably one of the very few times you'll see Oman in the international headlines):
I like AFP's headline ... so true! And I especially like the photos of His Highness the Sultan's cousin (the first relayer) in his shades when clearly the sun was going down ...
Afterwards, we went to Marah Land, a small amusement park next to the Nature Park to see if we could catch a glimpse of festivities after the fireworks. Alas, no dice. But we did get a nice view of the area while riding the ferris wheel.
Seven months here already?? Craziness. Six more months here. I'm trying to figure out what to do after October. My plan currently is to jet over to the UK with all my baggage and use my cousins' as a home base as I putz around (southern) Europe on a Eurail pass for a couple of weeks before going home for Thanksgiving. We'll see if that happens.

No comments:
Post a Comment