Three moments of wonder and awe that took place within a 10-minute period, en route to my apartment after spending the morning at the bookstore:
Al-Ghubra road heading south from the Azaiba round-about was relatively clear. No large trucks putzing along, causing cars to swerve and speed. I couldn't believe my eyes, and sped to 100 km, relishing this rare occasion.
Turning left, heading east from the clear road, there is a hill on which sits the Royal Hospital. Cresting that hill during the daytime, I always catch my breath at the sight of a beautiful mountain backdrop. On the clearest of days, you can see the stratifications (I don't know if that's the right word) and all the geological details of the majestic mountains.
As I entered my small apartment building, I looked up and wondered how, after 6 months of living here, I never noticed such a beautiful display of Arabic calligraphy above our humble threshold. It simply states, "bismallah, ar-rahman, ar-raheem," which means, "In the name of God, the Merciful and Compassionate," a common phrase in the Muslim world (for example, you would say it before eating, kind of like a grace, or before you set out on a journey, among many other common uses). It was carved in beautiful calligraphy and painted white, camouflaging it with the rest of the white-washed building.
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
Gifts of the Spirit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Aisa-
I'm a PSA in training at the Charles Center at W&M and Lisa had me send you a few questions I had after reading some of your blog posts!
1. What are the stereotypes about Americans that you face in Uganda?
2. Do your experiences in Oman make you better appreciate your life in America, or do you find that you begin to resent the capitalist and fast-paced American society?
3. As you accumulate fourth and fifth “cultures” do you find that you lose your identification with your “home” culture (American) and simply identify yourself as multicultural instead? Or do you define yourself as each of your “cultures” in different situations?
4. How has your identification with multiple cultures affected your research? Have you found it easier or more difficult to integrate yourself into Omani culture because of your different perspectives?
5. Though Muscat is such an international city, do you feel that there is still a strong sense of the Omani identity there?
Thanks!
Emily Shroder
Post a Comment