Friday, January 11, 2008

a theory of relativity

Yesterday, the man who was pumping my gas was wearing a winter jacket. I, on the other hand, still had my car A/C on its lowest level (lord knows how a stuffy car can make me fall asleep ... gotta be on constant alert for Muscat traffic, you know). Two evenings ago, I was sitting with a friend outside the Costa Coffee near the beach; the wind was blowing, and it was sooooo coooooold. Around my neighborhood, I see young boys zip up winter coats around their lightweight dishdashas (and wonder how they keep their bottoms warm ... ), their necks wrapped in winter scarves. I saw babies wearing wool hats and gloves at City Center.

I think the temperature may have been in the 'teens (Celsius; c. 50s-60s F) these past few evenings. How funny that two weeks ago, 50-60F was considered a warm Christmas, and now, my room is frigid at 70F instead of 78F and I wear a sweatshirt to bed.

Everything is relative.

[PS -- How boring that I'm talking about weather! Things have been slow since I returned ... but the last of the "big" holidays during the holiday season -- the Islamic New Year, this year celebrated on 9 January -- has passed and busy-ness shall continue (or at least the Omani form of busy-ness). Then, inshallah, I'll have more to say ... and do! And more pictures to post!]

No comments: