Friday, April 09, 2010

Stunning sunsets and catching up

I seriously forgot how beautiful sunsets can be when viewed from Shatti Qurum. In June 2007, Cyclone Gonu hit Muscat pretty hard, so I saw a lot of (re-)construction of various beach locales and roads during my time here in 2008. Now, in 2010, there is a beautiful stretch of beach cafes with a perfect view of the Gulf of Oman, various beach revelers and the occasional equestrian or two trotting gently by on noble Arabian stallions.




If I didn't have a return ticket to London, I don't know if I'll be heading back there anytime soon.

The weather is perfect. I said it was hot enough that one doesn't need a water heater for a hot shower, but it's not summer oppressive hot. I didn't greet a wall of heat and humidity when de-planing on Tuesday night.

I'd like to forget that I have two more term essays to write during my time here, as well as four exams to study for and dive straight into my dissertation. I'm conducting mini-fieldwork in my short time here and asking my Omani friends and their acquaintances/families about their dress habits, what see is fashionable/traditional and their opinion on the 'traditional'/'national' dress. And since this is Muscat where everybody knows your name (or at least knows someone who knows your name - wasta!), they of course suggested I talk to work colleagues and fashion designers. I have plans to visit Muttrah souq and politely make conversation with tailors and kummah/massar shop owners to ask their opinion on what's fashionable/trendy/traditional in the dress habits of the Muscatines.

I also have grand plans to eat! I made a mental list of all my favourite restaurants and eating haunts and am glad to report that I have made a nice dent. Tuesday night, as soon as I arrived, my lovely hosts K & M brought me to Kargeen, the sight of former AWG (American Women's Group) brunches, shisha nights, and the go-to place to watch the finals of the 2008 Euro Cup. Wednedsay evening, I marveled at the beautiful new Shatti Street (or, Shari3at al-7ub - 'love street') en route to hip fusion restaurant Japengo. I also made a mental note to visit once (or twice) the most conveniently located Starbucks on the same road. Yesterday, I met up with a friend who's an English teacher to have lunch at Pavo Real, the Mexican restaurant with a slightly Indian taste to the spices, and home of the famed 'Wild West Wednesdays' with a lively cover band (but 'dancing is forbidden' on the open dance floor). I remember the margaritas were lovely, and a nice respite from the heat during the summer. I also hope to hit up the Great Kabob Factory as well as Bollywood Cafe, home of the 2RO Indian veggie lunch buffet. And of course, one can't forget where it all started (and ended), the Turkish House, home of the world-famous, best grilled hamoor fish in all the Sultanate.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it! But for now, to make a dent in my 3500 word essay.

No comments: