Friday, February 15, 2008

Alma Mater hail!

For those of you who aren't in the Virginia/William and Mary loop, President Gene Nichol recently resigned after learning that his contract will not be renewed this coming July (more details here ... you can also Google news search William and Mary and find a slew of articles, commentaries and op-eds on the whole situation). I knew he struck quite a bit of controversy of many things, but I thought he was a great president. I remembered meeting him only twice during my senior year, and it was such an honor that he would remember me the second time. He was always visible and really wanted the best for the College, which included increased diversity, not only in color but economic opportunity. Unfortunately, the BOV saw beyond that and apparently didn't think that Nichol was the type of "change" the College needed. Craziness.

The following is an email that I sent to him:

Dear President Nichol,

Perhaps you have received an email from me not too long ago commenting on your uplifting remarks in the latest W&M Alumni magazine. And I am saddened to be writing you another email so soon after that one, as I have recently received news of your resignation.

Like many of my fellow alumni and currents students, I am shocked and rather angry at the BOV's decision regarding your rather exciting tenure as W&M president. While President Sullivan was a mainstay for three out of my four years in Williamsburg, it was refreshing to have a new president with new ideas. I also found it special that your first commencement was with the Class of 2006. It is rather ironic to currently have Democratic presidential candidates spreading the ideas of "change" and "hope" throughout the country while winning the hearts, minds and votes of Americans, while in Williamsburg, in our College, where so many of our nation's forefathers, thinkers and advocates of change and forbearers of hope, the opposite has unfortunately occurred. Perhaps the College's BOV can take an example from Oman, where I am residing for one year to complete my Fulbright project. Sultan Qaboos bin Said has been respected and revered by the Omanis, as well as many others worldwide, as a progressive leader, championing the rights of all Omani citizens, being on the cutting edge of the latest technology and business solutions, creating a stable and peaceful country which did not enjoy such things before his accession in 1970 (and also a rare find in a rather tumultuous region sensationalized by the media). He has done all this while maintaining cultural integrity and respecting the traditions of his people. In this way, the College can be compared to the progress of Oman; it is a place of history, tradition and culture, but it is also a place where new ideas, new movements and new approaches to traditional ways can happen. It is unfortunate that many people do not feel the same way, and that the physical symbol of positive change and progressivism has been removed from the head of the table.

And so, I echo the words of my previous email and thank you for all the positive and progressive work you have done for the College that has been experienced not only visibly in the media, but also in the hearts and minds of students, faculty, staff and alumni. When I graduated, my heart sank to know that I will not spend every day on such a wonderful campus with my caring, conscious, and energetic peers. But I had a feeling of excitement as I departed the campus as an official alumna that exciting things will continue to happen on that campus, probably more exciting than I had seen in those four years I was there. I know that the same energy and the same good work and highly prized reputation that the College maintains will still continue, but it will be sad to know that "Big Nick" will not be at the forefront of it.

My Tribe Pride has grown exponentially, especially after hearing such exciting news bites from campus since my departure, and I believe that you are partly to thank for that. The words "Thank You" cannot sum up the appreciation that I -- and so many people in the W&M community -- have for your hard work and unwavering spirit. Now we all know what it means to "hark upon the gale."

Go Tribe,

Aisa
Class of 2006
US Fulbright student, Oman, 2007-2008

No comments: